What if we looked at 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 from the reverse angle? I think it helps us put so much of our pettiness and self-interest in stark perspective and shows love as that much more beautiful.

Impatience and unkindness is hatred.
Hate is envious and ego-centric.
Hate is arrogant and rude.
Hatred is insisting on one’s own way;
hatred is irritable or resentful;
it celebrates sin, and it mocks what is true.
Hate is whiny and thin-skinned,
thoroughly skeptical,
always pessimistic,
a born quitter.

But hatred ends . . .

Comments:

11 thoughts on “Sobering When Put This Way”

1. Walt says:

When you say “reverse angle,” I assume you mean the “opposite”. However, “hate” is not the opposite of love. Love is the giving of oneself for the good of another. The good of the other is the object — the target — of love (agape). This means that the opposite of love is selfishness, not hate, because selfishness is when we act for our own good, not with the good of the other as our goal. So your little reflection here is nice, just a bit misdirected.

1. Nathan Davis says:

I think you missed the point. :) Selfishness is hate… It is emptiness. Great word Jared.

2. shawn says:

makes me wonder about myself and my struggles with those very things, and how much I really need to work on myself, and my walk with good, especially being patient with people

3. Flyaway says:

Looking forward to that day when hatred will end! Love will never end!

4. scott says:

Good post. Makes ME think. I got a whole lotta changing to do.

5. Powerful. I second Shawn’s comment; makes me take a long, hard look at my own walk. Thank you, Jared, for this reverse perspective and for concluding with the hope that hatred does end…with surrender in Jesus.

6. Jared, thanks for this brother. Sobering and helpful.

7. Ben says:

Hatred seems to be a common thing in society today. I look forward to it being removed.

Jared C. Wilson

Jared C. Wilson is the pastor of Middletown Springs Community Church in Middletown Springs, Vermont. You can follow him on Twitter.

Jared C. Wilson's Books