Comments:

17 thoughts on “Totally Like Whatever, You Know?”

1. Taylor Mali is, like, totally awesome.

Though, frankly, I’m surprised that some of your more rabid readers haven’t already chimed in to cite this poem as proof-text that ALL epistemological humility is wrong.

2. Tim says:

This presentation was geerate. And I am guilty as charged. I do that all the time, you know?

3. PDW says:

This was absolutely fantastic!

Thank you!!

4. Tiana Krenz says:

Wonderful…I love it!

Thank-you!

5. Cissy Blunt says:

OMG!!! Thank You, thank you for finally saying what I’ve been sensing, but couldn’t put into words because… you know like… you feel weird when you sound like you know what you’re talking about, right? Know what I’m saying… L.O.L.!!!! Just love this!!!!

6. While not as niftily presented or amusing, Mark Liberman’s article on uptalking is far more balanced, educated, and evidence-based.

1. Justin Taylor says:

Thanks for the link! Isn’t it a bit apples and oranges, though? Liberman on uptalking in general, and Mali on uptalking combined with verbal hints of epistemological skepticism disguised as humility?

1. I see your point. But I think that calling it “epistemological skepticism disguised as humility” is ascribing motives without evidence. Of course that might be the case in some instances, but it is also the vernacular of huge swaths of English speakers. It seems unfounded to me to attribute a motive for speaking that way without some kind of investigation.

What I see happening here is a perhaps-valid work of art being used by people to validate ungenerous biases about people different than them who they have no interest in actually understanding.

1. Tim says:

Hm. I see your point as well Abraham. There no doubt needs to be balance and grace given in conversation and speech.

7. Richard says:

Mali is brilliant. In the same vein I like his “Like Lily Like Wilson” poem about the girl who couldn’t stop saying “like”(though not all will agree with Lily’s conclusions).

Justin Taylor