LampMode has a new album out called The Church: Called & Collected, with a variety of artists.

It’s based on Mark Dever’s What Is a Healthy Church? Each artist takes an aspect of a healthy church—a biblical understanding of preaching, conversion, gospel, etc.—and turned it into a song.

Here’s the track list:

1. Take ‘em to Church – God’s Servant feat. Azriel
  2. Expository Preaching – Shai Linne
  3. Conversion – Trip Lee
  4. The Good News – Hazakim
  5. Membership – Stephen the Levite
  6. Words from Mark . . .
  7. Biblical Theology – Shai Linne
  8. Evangelism – Hazakim
  9. Leadership – Flame
  10. Words from Thabiti . . .
  11. Church Discipline – Stephen the Levite
  12. Discipleship – Tedashii
  13. Beautiful Church – Evangel

Lampmode has been kind enough to let me stream Flame’s song on church leadership. Here it is:

And here are the lyrics:

Verse 1
Jesus established the church and how the church should be ran
If we’re going to succeed then we need to follow His plan
So many gather in buildings but that don’t make a church
So many children have fallen now they’re crawling and hurt
We need healthy leadership so we can have healthy churches
Thank God for Elders and Deacons who seek to worship
Lets take the Deacon whose role is to meet physical needs
He is not responsible to teach or even oversee
Deacons manage financial matter while serving the Elders
So they can focus on preaching, teaching, studying, and praying
But they don’t just focus on only just serving the Elders they also help us (Acts 6 to see what I’m saying)
They also maintain unity in the Body for sure
Many men like this will make a Body mature
So as we focus on honoring the covenant
I’m urging you toward congregational church government

Hook

See we have Elders we have Deacon and congregational leadership
Jesus is the head of the whole thing
What does that mean?

Verse 2

They say Flame don’t go soft on this, talk about the offices
Establish that they Bible says there is 1-2
We’ve got Deacons we’ve got Elders, we’ve got Elders, we’ve got Deacons, any other school of thought just ain’t true
Now what the Elders do is oversee spiritually over the church
Laboring in prayer and in the word this is the Elders work
Plus they guard us so no false teaching comes seeping in
Plus they guard our souls so nobody go sinks in sin
Their living the gospel out that others may imitate
privately their counsel route is solidly Bible based
Plus they preach the word, teach the word, that the church may grow
Until He comes back sky cracks then the church will go
We’re called to submit to them Hebrews 13:17
God gave them authority although we are a team
We’ve got authority, too: Matthew 18:15
Yes, the tension exists, this we submit to the King

Hook (repeat)

Verse 3

You came out the world, now you get placed in the church
Given authority don’t fall back you’ve got to work
You’re part of the congregation and you’ve got a role to play
This is part of the priesthood of all believers you vote to say
Who the Elders are what people join
Doctrinal truth discipline too I’ll keep going
You deal with disputes you’ve got the final say
On all these issues see this was issued on on the day
That you were converted regenerated for sure
You exercise this authority to keep the Body pure
You are accountability for the Elders in fact
But in humility we keep the Elders intact
And when I say Elders I mean bishops, pastors, overseers
Those terms are synonymous, honestly I know this is kind of shocking but this doctrine they seem to forget
Its the teaching of biblical church leadership

Hook (repeat)

And here’s a little promo video with Mark Dever talking about the project:

Comments:

13 thoughts on “Ecclesiology Meets Hip Hop”

1. Alex Philip says:

I would love to see a project like this tackle the Book of Psalms using the interpretations by Isaac Watts.

2. Doug says:

This album is truly awesome. If you don’t have it, remedy that now!

3. LC Crownhill says:

I like hip hop. I love sound doctrine. The two can be blended (see Curtis Allen, a/k/a Voice). But…

This is not poetic. It sounds like an ecclesiology manual read to syncopated rhythm. Lyrics have to be just that – lyrical – even in a rap or hip hop medium.

Well intended, and valiant, no doubt. But just too prosaic.

1. will says:

dude i totally agree. well said.

1. will says:

and, just in case, i use ‘dude’ in a unisex way.

2. I agree, reluctantly, because what they are trying to do is daring and experimental. The backing track sounds too much like a generic library loop. In hip-hop, the music and poetry are paramount, otherwise you might as well just write it, or speak it, to save from distracting from the main point. But strike the right balance and you’ve got something with real emotional impact which will drive a message home much better.

By the way, I’m a producer/programmer looking to hook up with a hip-hop MC with this kind of vision. Always worth putting my money where my mouth is, and I’d love to add some chops to a record or project like this.

4. While the message is more than great, does the message have to be delivered by the world’s standard of hip hop.I hope the Lord has a sense of humor.

5. The Lord probably has the perfect sense of humor. But is it needed here. I think that rap music is just as much in the category of “the world’s standard” as a lot of the pop-rock and christian soul music out there. Can’t we rejoice at our brothers redeeming an art form to teach those that might never listen to Avalon or Ex Nihilo about The Church? I’m just saying.

With love,
    Leon

6. Russ says:

lampmode has done it again! this is really great stuff!

7. THis is a great album! Thanks for sharing!

lg

8. Cody says:

These lyrics are a sweet aroma to my ears. Thank God for 9Marks, LampMode & the artist for taking the time to study these doctrines, keep them sound and lay them out for us with there lyrics. My generation needs this. This is a great new standard-hip-hop-ecclesiastical-manual for us all to devour! (*The sound of hip hop is not for everyone, but I love hip hop, and I love Church so the record works for me and context.)

9. David Kuria says:

Wao this is some serious doctrine, It’s seems that Hip-hop is the only type of music that is ready to preach such kind of sound doctrine to it’s audience. I haven’t heard of any other genre of music that does this kind of stuff, just like they did on the 13 letter project breaking down the Letters of Paul it was for 2007 but still addicted to it, obviously because it gave me a guide in those books which was a Great Blessing. Thank God for such men.

10. Chad C says:

Sound doctrine and solid beats! Well done Trip my brotha!

Justin Taylor