Recommended Resources in Carson’s Leader’s Guide: Chapters 10-14
Guest Post by Andy Naselli
Chapter 10, “The God Who Dies—and Lives Again,” addresses Matthew 27:27–51 and John 20:24–28.
- Wells, Paul. Cross Words: The Biblical Doctrine of the Atonement. Fearn, Scotland: Christian Focus, 2006.
- Meynell, Mark. Cross-Examined: The Life-Changing Power of the Death of Jesus. Leicester: IVP, 2001.
- Packer, J. I., and Mark Dever. In My Place Condemned He Stood: Celebrating the Glory of the Atonement. Wheaton: Crossway, 2008.
- Jeffery, Steve, Michael Ovey, and Andrew Sach. Pierced for Our Transgressions: Rediscovering the Glory of Penal Substitution. Wheaton: Crossway, 2007.
- Bolt, Peter G. The Cross from a Distance: Atonement in Mark’s Gospel. New Studies in Biblical Theology 18. Downers Grove: IVP, 2004.
- Morison, Frank. Who Moved the Stone? 1930. Repr., Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1977.
- Habermas, Gary R., and Michael R. Licona. The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2004.
- Wright, N. T. The Resurrection of the Son of God. Christian Origins and the Question of God 3. Minneapolis: Fortress, 2003.
- Carson, D. A. Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus. Re:Lit. Wheaton: Crossway, 2010.
Chapter 11, “The God Who Declares the Guilty Just,” addresses Romans 3:21–26.
- Piper, John. The Passion of Jesus Christ: Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die. Wheaton: Crossway, 2004.
- Wittmer, Michael E. Don’t Stop Believing: Why Living Like Jesus Is Not Enough. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2008.
- Cole, Graham A. God the Peacemaker: How Atonement Brings Shalom. New Studies in Biblical Theology 25. Downers Grove: IVP, 2009.
- Stott, John R. W. The Cross of Christ. 20th Anniversary ed. Downers Grove: IVP, 2006. [audiobook]
Chapter 12, The God Who Gathers and Transforms His People,” addresses Ephesians 2:1-18; 4:17-5:10; and Galatians 5:13-26.
- Carroll, Vincent, and Dave Shiflett. Christianity on Trial: Arguments Against Anti-Religious Bigotry. San Francisco: Encounter, 2002.
- DeYoung, Kevin, and Ted Kluck. Why We Love the Church: In Praise of Institutions and Organized Religion. Chicago: Moody, 2009.
- Leeman, Jonathan. The Church and the Surprising Offense of God’s Love: Reintroducing the Doctrines of Church Membership and Discipline. IX Marks. Wheaton: Crossway, 2010.
- Dever, Mark. Nine Marks of a Healthy Church. 4th ed. Washington, D.C.: IX Marks, 2005.
- Carson, D. A. The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2004.
Chapter 13, “The God Who Is Very Angry,” addresses Revelation 14:6–20.
- Peterson, Robert A. Hell on Trial: The Case for Eternal Punishment. Phillipsburg, NJ: Presbyterian & Reformed, 1995.
- Morgan, Christopher W., and Robert A. Peterson, eds. Hell under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents Eternal Punishment. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2004.
- Carson, D. A. “On Banishing the Lake of Fire.” Pages 515–36 in The Gagging of God: Christianity Confronts Pluralism. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1996.
Chapter 14, “The God Who Triumphs,” addresses Revelation 21:1–22:5.
- Milne, Bruce. The Message of Heaven and Hell: Grace and Destiny. Bible Speaks Today. Downers Grove: IVP, 2002.
- Strachan, Owen, and Doug Sweeney. Jonathan Edwards on Heaven and Hell. The Essential Edwards Collection. Chicago: Moody, 2010.