Well, that didn’t take long. Here’s an MP3 for “Heb Hop” (pronounced Heeb-hop)—the Hebrew alphabet to a new tune with a little “Drop It Like It’s Hot [now Tav]” thrown in there.

The song was written by Dave Kulp and Matt Howell (when they were students at RTS-Charlotte) and was sung and produced by Matt Howell. Posted with permission:

HT: Jordan Olshefski // Reid Jones

Comments:

17 thoughts on “Heb Hop: The Hebrew Alphabet”

1. Servenator says:

I just want to mention that you could have a whole section of this website dedicated to Matt Howell songs. He has the WSC to music. He has a Calvinism song. And then of course there are: Praying Mantis, Elijah, something about charismatics, and so, so many more.

2. reid says:

I’m just glad that the incredibly brilliant matthew howell is finally getting the credit he ‘deserves’ (in the way that Calvin used the word).

3. Mike says:

Not bad, the hook sounds like an old school break beat : )

4. JMH says:

These guys are studs. Ain’t no party like an RTSC party.

5. Dave says:

Hilarious that this is on here…Slight correction, the tune is original. We just added in the drop it like it’s tav for fun and to bring it around again.

6. TheCornDog says:

Word up. RTSC is off the chain.

7. Currid says:

As Matt Howell’s Hebrew instructor at RTS-Charlotte, I must say that I am quite encouraged that he still remembers the Hebrew alphabet. The real question is, Matt, are you still reading your Hebrew?

8. mark says:

I still recommend it and e-mail it to other RTSC students who are about to embark on Hebrew.

9. Tony Romano says:

These are awesome. But I just can’t stop laughing. Not at them; seriously, it’s so great. It’s just so funny to me. I cannot imagine any ancient Hebrew ever thought, “Do you know what would be sweet? If we could drop a nasty beat on these letters, bro.” I love it.

10. DL says:

I would not have graduated RTS-C on time without Matt Howell. Period.

11. Gavin says:

Finally, RTSC gets recognition for its linguistic hip hop.

12. telos104 says:

Let’s be in the world, not of it…

13. Cindy Coleman says:

My son is a student at Appalachian State University and involved member of ASU’s RUF. Matt is the leader and my son is taking Hebrew. He loved the rap and is looking into other of Matt’s creative works.

14. Clint says:

Telos,

I’m totally with you. In fact, to be consistent in abstaining from any “world of-ness”, let’s drop the internet…drop it like its hot…drop it like its hot.

15. Rick Penney says:

I found that the hebrew alphabet fits perfectly into beethoven’s ode to joy. i have no mp3 but you should try it – all the syllables fit nicely into the notes.

Justin Taylor