Jeremy Pierce explains some of the things he really hates in a worship song.

Comments:

14 thoughts on “Rant on Worship Songs”

1. Mark du Preez says:

I just tend to look at it from the other side. If the psalms cover so much of our worship theology and experience why the proliferation of psalms hymns and spiritual songs? Or is there something lacking in the psalms that requires further embellishment or development or artistic expression during public worship?

2. As I read this, it was totally confusing me until I realized it was a form of satire. I kept agreeing then disagreeing then wondering why he kept using scripture. He brings up some challenging points though, for sure!

3. Elliott N. says:

I was going to say at least half of those things to our new Worship Leader we just hired. Ouch!

4. Brent Batiste says:

I wonder if Jeremy has a bit too much time on his hands. Instead of issuing so many criticisms about how others are seeking to honor the Lord in their song writing/style, perhaps he can simply worship the Lord in the way he senses is biblical and I guess preferable. There is world of good that we need to be a part of as followers of Christ. Justin, I am surprised you would publish something that is just so overly-ranted about. It’s just old.

1. Justin Taylor says:

Brent, if you click on the links of Jeremy’s piece to see the examples he is using, you’ll see that it’s a satire piece poking fun at these objections. Sorry for the confusion.

2. Donovan says:

Brent – go back to the article and click on the links… It’s satire! He’s showing us that we can’t make these complaints about worship songs unless we want to complain about God-inspired songs of worship (the Psalms) too…

3. Dave H. says:

Give Brent a break. If we can pass national health care bills without first reading them and knowing what is in them, why can’t people comment on blog links without reading them first?

1. My thought is that if you’re going to take the time to comment on a blog post without even moving your pointer over the links to see where they go and without even skimming the comments for a few seconds, something is wrong with how you calculate your use of time compared with what you don’t think you have time for.

5. Andrew Moody says:

Jeremy is a cheeky fellow! Just purchased T. David Gordon’s new book Why Johnny Can’t Sing Hymns. As an amateur hymn writer, I’m interested in the transition that has taken place in worship music from the traditional hymn to the praise chorus.

1. Bruce Russell says:

Andrew:

We know that musical score of contemporary worship music reflects the casual and informal spirit of our age. In this respect it is worldly and detracts from the rare contemporary song that has profound lyrics.

Contemporary popular music is actually a great backdrop for the shallow and isolated life that so many lead today. The guitar rhythm and rock beat exalt those on the stage and come at the expense of the human voice. Quite a shame really.

2. pdgie says:

It went through Fanny Crosby and the sappy revival song on its way there.

6. donsands says:

There really is a lot of bad worship music in the church. I like his point he makes, so that we need to have a open mind, nevertheless the songs in our day are quite insipid, for the most aprt. It’s a pop-culture CCM.

I like a lot of the hymns. There is some great lyrics in the hymns. And I see some good worship songs coming from Stewart Tonwnend, and Keith & Kristy Getty.

Here’s one that I like, and we sing in my church: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubGCISQQ7Zo

7. donsands says:

Here’s another quick one from Townend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xM-fpXayUg&feature=related

Justin Taylor