It’s not easy to keep a secret. Especially for three years and running.

But this Saturday (October 2, 2010) Sam Storms, Crossway, and I—along with a host of helpers—were able to surprise John Piper with the gift of a 542-page book with essays from 27 friends and colleagues: For the Fame of God’s Name: Essays in Honor of John Piper. I know I am biased, but the book contains a significant number of outstanding essays, from Christian Hedonism to Jonathan Edwards on the sovereignty of God to the already/not-yet phases of justification to Christus Victor and substitutionary atonement to what is means for a pastor to be worshipper, and shepherd, and counselor—and, well, you get the idea.

In the 15-minute presentation at the Desiring God Conference—which you can watch on video below—Sam reads part of our introduction (“A Note to John Piper”), I read the chapter titles and their contributors, John receives the book, and then Lane Dennis (president and publisher of Crossway) prays a prayer of dedication:

You can read the table of contents, and D.A. Carson’s new, substantive essay “What Is the Gospel?—Revisited” as a free, 32-page PDF [updated link] or you can flip through it here:

Here is the full list of contents:

A Note to John Piper

Donald J. Westblade

7. Prayer and the Sovereignty of God
Bruce A. Ware

Part 4: The Gospel, the Cross, and the Resurrection of Christ

8. What Is the Gospel?—Revisited
D. A. Carson

9. Christus Victor et Propitiator: The Death of Christ, Substitute and Conqueror
Sinclair B. Ferguson

10. The Role of Resurrection in the Already and Not-Yet Phases of Justification
G. K. Beale

Part 5: The Supremacy of God in All Things

11. A Biblical Theology of the Glory of God
Thomas R. Schreiner

12. The Kingdom of God as the Mission of God
Scott J. Hafemann

13. The Mystery of Marriage
James M. Hamilton Jr.

14. Pleasing God by Our Obedience: A Neglected New Testament Teaching
Wayne Grudem

15. The Glory and Supremacy of Jesus Christ in Ethnic Distinctions and over Ethnic Identities
Thabiti Anyabwile

16. Dethroning Money to Treasure Christ Above All
Randy Alcorn

17. “Abortion Is About God”: Piper’s Passionate, Prophetic Pro-Life Preaching
Justin Taylor

18. A God-Centered Worldview: Recovering the Christian Mind by Rediscovering the Master Narrative of the Bible
R. Albert Mohler Jr.

Part 6: Preaching and Pastoral Ministry

19. Proclaiming the Gospel and the Glory of God: The Legacy of Jonathan Edwards for Preaching
Stephen J. Nichols

William D. Mounce

Part 7: Ministries

26. The Vision and Ministry of Desiring God
Jon Bloom

27. The Vision and History of The Bethlehem Institute
Tom Steller

Crossway commissioned illustrator Allan Burch to render a charcoal drawing of Piper, which is included in the book:

Comments:

28 thoughts on “For the Fame of God’s Name: Essays in Honor of John Piper”

1. emmzee says:

Thanks for posting this! The PDF link doesn’t seem to work for me, can you check that please?

2. Donovan says:

Justin – THANK-YOU!! It strikes me as so wonderfully fitting to honor this man of God through a volume like this… Thank-you for all you did to see it completed!

3. Andy says:

I can’t open the free PDF link either.

4. Bill Haynes says:

Ditto, PDF file will not open at Dropbox.

5. Justin Taylor says:

I added the “www” to the URL? Does that help at all? I’ve asked people smarter than me to look into it!

6. Bill Haynes says:

Nope, doesn’t seem to make a difference!!

7. Mark says:

The pdf is working now, for me atleast.

8. Tim H. says:

I’m really excited about this. Thanks for your hand in it Justin!

9. EAJ says:

What a magnificient tribute to the ministry of John Piper and what an astonishingly beautiful and deeply thoughtful way to accomplish this gift to him in that you packaged your praise of him in the the very way that he could recieve it while in turn it could also continue in ministry to us, which is just the way it should be and the way Pastor Piper would want it to be. Thank you so very much.

10. Truth Unites... and Divides says:

Thanks for this tribute to John Piper!

Piper is an inerrantist, a complementarian, a Calvinist, and against neo-Darwinian evolution while being a passionate follower of Jesus Christ.

11. Justin Taylor says:

I posted it as a new file hosted by TGC. Hope that works.

12. Bill Haynes says:

Thanks, Justin!!!

13. Jason Engwer says:

Thanks, Justin and everybody else who contributed.

14. Jerry Scheumann says:

Thank you so much for putting this book together, Justin.

When this book was presented to Pastor John on Saturday, it was so encouraging to have such a man honored. It was one of the highlights of the entire conference.

May this book do what John has done throughout his life–give much glory to God by exalting his Son.

15. Jeremy says:

I hope amazon gets this book soon. I have a gift card and want to dig into this thing.

16. Josiah says:

Watching this brought me to tears. I’m really glad you guys did this. Well done!

17. RJD says:

Not likely. Why do you ask?

18. Awesome! I am happy you guys were able to surprise him with this. Well done.

19. Tony Romano says:

This is so great. God has used John Piper more than any other theologian or pastor to open my eyes to the beauty of God’s Word and the glory of His Son in the Gospel. I am so thankful that God would be so full of grace to gift him to move my generation, in large part, towards reclaiming the supremacy of God in our hearts. I heard him speak for the first time at One Day in 2000 (via videotape). I had never heard anyone talk about Jesus that way. God used John Piper to change my life for His glory. I cannot wait to read this book. Justin and Sam, thank you so much for this. All of you guys in this camp have helped me so much.

20. Dan Erickson says:

Justin,
    I read the first three chapters of the book yesterday. They are the “biographical” ones, and each is very encouraging. I expect to be encouraged and challenged many times as I read this volume. Thanks for your work in putting this together.
    P.S. It was good to see you at the DG Conference.

21. truthmatters says:

Dear Justin,

Apparently you did not like my comment about singing the praises of men and therefore removed it. Perhaps it was a little forward.

Through the years I have become disillusioned with leaders, and have learned to be careful when honoring a man before he is dead. Maybe I feel this way because I am familiar with my own weakness. I think it was you or Kevin D. who posted theologians, about six weeks ago who started out doctrinally strong but finished compromised in the their own faith.

Many conservative evangelicals have been concerned about Rick Warrens invite to this conference, Even though John Piper explained his reason. Maybe true colors have yet to be revealed, who knows? Billy Sunday, that great evangelist at the turn of the century was a good preacher. He and his wife traveled so much through the years they were hardly home. One day his own son committed suicide. At that, it still didn’t seem Billy could see the big picture.

22. Victor says:

I look forward to reading this. Piper is a tremendous preacher and servant of the Lord. But he is certainly not perfect, exhibit A. invinting Rick Warren to the Think conference.

23. truthmatters,
    I get some of what your saying brother. But John Piper is in a completely different life scenario than Billy Sunday. He is, intentionally, intimately known by godly men both in his church as well as many of the contributors in this compilation. And he submits himself both practically and theologically to these men. He also has a track record of a public, open and accountable ministry.

These are factors that were nonexistent in Sunday’s ministry in any real sense as a traveling evangelist. Piper never sought this type of recognition and I think because he, like you, recognized his own proclivities towards pride he intentionally submitted himself in very real ways to men around him that love Jesus, love the Gospel and love the Pipers.

24. jake says:

Justin, quick question: is the pdf viewer that embeds the pdf available as a plug-in? I really like how one can click on the book cover and read the pdf at full page in decent quality.

Thanks,