“Renowned artist and writer Makoto Fujimura is not shy about the importance of his latest project. ‘Whether I like it or not, this is what I will be remembered by,’ Fujimura asserts.

‘I don’t think it’s an overstatement to say that it is a commission of the decade, if not more,’ says Valerie Dillon, whose Manhattan-based Dillon Gallery is Fujimura’s main exhibitor.”

From the Crossway blog:

Makoto Fujimura, one of the century’s most highly regarded artists, has illuminated the Four Holy Gospels. Fujimura is known for his use of traditional Japanese Nihonga techniques and his passion for reconnecting Christian faith with fine art. This will mark the first time in nearly 400 years that an illuminated book of the four Gospels has been undertaken by a single artist. . . .

Editions of The Four Holy Gospels will be available January 31, 2011. An exhibition of the works featured in The Four Holy Gospels will take place from December 9 through January 9 at the Dillon Gallery in New York City.

I love the video below, which not only previews the project but also give you a window into Fujimura’s studio and his vision:

Amazon has it available for pre-order at 37% off:

Comments:

13 thoughts on “Makoto Fujimura: “This Is What I Will Be Remembered By””

1. Nat says:

This is awesome. Buying the coffee table now to put it on.

However, it’s in the ESV commemorating the KJV? I love both translations, but I think the obvious is being missed.

Still, wonderful.

1. Michael C. says:

See the Crossway Blog, their saying KJV > ASV > ESV and that the KJV is best celebrated by a Bible in the vernacular (which the KJV is most certainly not). Lest we turn the KJV into the next Latin Vulgate!

2. Donahue says:

about time somebody incorporated fingerpainting with the Bible

1. Clint says:

They already have a Bible for you sir–The Stock Car Racing Edition. I hear they have testimonies from actual drivers! They had to be edited into complete sentences though.

3. Clarification Dave says:

This tangible book project is a premier example of why physical books and embodied presence in artistic encounter will always be superior to digital data through ipads, kindles, nooks, etc.

I know, I sound like a Luddite.

4. Oh…what joy!!! Someone very close to us has been reading and embracing that “language of waywardness” (from the video)for many years. He is also completely enamored with Japan and all things Japanese. This will be the perfect gift for him.

5. Dean Davis says:

In reading about the Tabernacle, I always like to pause and think of the symbolism of the colors: blue, scarlet, purple, gold, etc. From what I can see, Fujimura’s use of such colors to illumine the gospels will give similar pause, all the richer for being juxtaposed with the story of Him who fulfills the Tabernacle in his life and work. Waiting eagerly.

6. Dang! He was at Baylor literally last week and I didn’t even know it!

7. ryan says:

this is absolutely beautiful. but I laughed out loud when the Amazon page asked me to petition the publisher to put it on the Kindle. don’t think so…

1. HA1 Yeah, how about a petition for it to never, never happen? :)

8. John says:

Wow. Thank you Crossway for bringing this kind of beauty and richness to us! Placed my order already.

9. Lauren says:

This is gorgeous, and I’m usually not a fan of modern art! I loved how Makoto really delved into the heart of what each passage of Scripture was saying in order to express it in his art!

Justin Taylor