Timmy Brister:

Let’s face it. Memorizing Scripture can be a difficult discipline, especially memorizing long passages of Scripture.  In our fast-paced lives of multi-tasking with any number of things vying for our attention, there is a real danger for the Word of God to get squeezed out of our daily lives.  More than any other time, Christians need to partner together for the purpose of internalizing Scripture, encouraging one another to abide in the words of Christ, and remembering the weighty truths that center us in God’s work in our lives.  To do this, a system for memorizing Scripture has been created called the memory moleskine.

Starting in 2011, we are beginning a project called P2R (Partnering to Remember).  The goal is to memorize the entire book of Philippians by Easter Sunday (April 24, 2011) through partnering with other believers using the memory moleskine.  Paul praised the church in Philippi for their partnership in advance of the Gospel, and in the spirit of that partnership, this project intends to bring Christians together for the deepening work of God’s Word in their lives.  Simply put, we are partnering to remember.

Using the Cahier moleskine, we have created a pocket-size notebook that provides a practical and accessible way to memorize Scripture.  Through collaboration with The Resurgence, a customized PDF has been created for you to download with a week-by-week outline for memorizing the book of Philippians in 16 weeks using the English Standard Version (ESV).  On one side of the moleskine you simply paste the week’s verses to memorize, and on the other side you write your reflections on the verses while indicating how many times you rehearsed them each day.

The Cahier moleskine can be purchased either directly from Moleskine or from various bookstores such as Borders or Books-a-Million.  Our hope is that many Christians will establish a rhythm of remembering God’s Word together through a system that helps access Scripture wherever you are.  So join us at the beginning of the New Year with a memory moleskine in your hand that God’s Word may be more treasured in your heart.

Comments:

15 thoughts on “2011 Philippians Memory Moleskine”

1. Ron Harvey says:

Timmy,
    Great to see what you had said you were doing. Not only am I excited about re-establishing a “habit” of scripture memory, but the book of Philippians will be the theme for this years Pastor’s conference for the California Southern Baptist Convention later in 2011. Dick Melick will be with us. Thanks for your effort. We ought to do this on a regular basis. A great encouragement for the brethren! Merry Christmas.

2. David Reimer says:

Great idea … except for the Moleskin. Better idea is not to shell out $7 for this: print it on a piece of paper, and give the $7 to Wycliffe so those who have no access to a Bible in their own language might get one.

It’s not that the notebook idea is bad. But with a sheet of paper you can make a PocketMod: grab the PocketMod version for weeks 1-3 for portability and note-taking.

If there’s enough interest, I’m sure someone could be convinced to produce “PocketMods” for the whole sequence. Especially if it means donations going to Wycliffe.

3. Alex says:

I highly recommend Memverse to anyone looking to memorize Scripture. It is a free online tool that has helped me memorize a lot. :)

Blessings to everyone taking on this challenge.

4. thomas says:

where is the pdf

5. steve says:

Not to be too critical, but we have two links to purchase an overpriced notebook but no link to the “customized PDF?” Isn’t the whole point the memorization of Philippians. It would appear that the marketing has taken the lead.

I agree with David, purchase a generic notebook from a dollar store if you need one and use the money saved to help someone.

6. Tyler says:

Any effort to memorize scripture is to be encouraged :) Here is my routine, and I hope it will be helpful to some readers.

* Get a 3-ring binder, label it ‘Scripture Memory Book’
    * Have the first page to be a list of scripture you have memorized or would like to memorize.
    * On lined paper, take what you have memorized, and write it out.
    * Try to do this every morning. I do it while eating breakfast.

Tips
    * Pray for the Holy Spirit’s assistance.
    * Put God’s word into practice, if practical.
    * Memorize large chunks. Romans 5:1-11, John 1:1-18, Psalm 146, etc.
    * Meditate on what you have memorized through out the day. Recite, recite, recite. :o)

– Tyler

7. John says:

Tyler has some great advice – especially the part about memorizing large chuncks. You would be amazed, but you can memorize one or two chapters at a time with little trouble, and for many folks this is easier than memorizing a single verse.

8. Sara says:

For the record, I love the idea, and would prefer the sturdiness and convenience of a Moleskin. There’s nothing wrong for a believer to purchase the right tool for the job.

1. John says:

I agree. I use a moleskine to capture my random thoughts, and it is bullet proof. I even ran it through the wash once and it came out ok.

1. Char says:

I also don’t see why wanting a nice journal would be a waste of money (probably because I have a thing for good journals and make books). One could argue having internets and even indoor plumbing are also unnecessary indulgences. Yet we’re all here…

But I have to disagree on the quality of Cahiers. I’ve worked with a number of journals and sketchbooks, both expensive and cheap. Moleskine Cahiers are not high on my list. Lots of bleed through on the pages, thin paper and don’t accept certain types of ink too well. Also pencil often really transfers.

Lama Li passport journals are probably my personal favorites of all Cahier”style” journals but they aren’t always the easiest to get (And are better for art anyway) and I don’t think they make lined versions. But really nice. And pretty.

St Armand makes some really great paper and you can get a nice leather case for their journals, but they’re really weird sizes like 4×5 (which is great for me but maybe not for this sort of thing). Also no lines. Same for hand-book I think.

However for those not opposed to expense I’d recommend looking at Circa journals. They are expensive (around 20 bucks full price for “Junior” size which is comparable to the Cahier-though thicker)-but worth it if you’re planning on having something to kick around and also to keep long term. The paper is relatively heavy (though still fluid), good quality (not much bleed through or tearing) and the pages are removable/refillable. Because of this, you can add new studies as you go along, or keep a “working” journal and a “permanent” one-moving material from one to the other as you finish with it-thus being able to have a thin, easy to handle journal to work with, but also having the finished stuff together. Plus they make an “annotation rule” style page which has a blank block running the full length of the page-very conducive to a verse/journal style. And did I mention removable pages? :)

Anyway, this is what I now use pretty exclusively for when I work through books of the bible and it’s probably my favorite option for completely written journals (I wish I could convert my old notebooks). Very versatile and if you can afford it, worth it. You can also build your own.

9. Philip says:

Yes this is a great idea and I do like the idea of the little notebooks because I feel like they will hold up as I continually take it with me everywhere I go. I would also suggest that you have to be careful with this whole spend money on this rather than this so that you can give to something else. Does every single person that suggested this eat only rice and beans and drink water so that there extra money will go to save others. Of course not. Of course we need to be absolutely sacrificial with everything that we have.

10. Itsmrsd says:

Love this idea! I’ve been wanting to memorize a whole book but have been afraid it would be too overwhelming. Normally I use notecards but I think I will benefit from the notebook instead. Now to find someone to partner with.

11. Jeff says:

If you want to save some money on the moleskine, Desiring God’s website has them for $2 less http://desiringgod.org/Store/OtherMerchandise/ByTopic/All/748_Large_Black_DWYL_Journal_3Pack/

1. Kim says:

SO excited about this idea! I bought my Moleskine two-pack at Borders with a 40% off coupon ($5.50). Now, at almost buy-one-get-one-free price, I can include/motivate/encourage a friend to do it with me! :-)

Justin Taylor