Mike Pohlman:

Cancer clinics (if I may adapt one of C.S. Lewis’ more recognized phrases) are God’s megaphone to a chronically amused people. Through cancer clinics, God brings the significance of the present and the weight of glory to bear on us in ways unlike anything else. Few things, by God’s grace, capture the mind and the heart like an oncology waiting room. And we need to be captured by God — pulled away from the numbing effects of the world.

Our default instinct is to avoid pain, grief, and sorrow by covering these emotions with fun, levity, and leisure of all kinds. And I’m not immune to this sinful weakness that leaves me anesthetized to God. In other words, I need the cancer clinic waiting room because I need God.

You can read the whole thing here, and in so doing can pray for Mike’s dear wife Julia.

Comments:

6 thoughts on “Finding God in the Cancer Clinic”

1. ASA says:

Justin, I really love your blog. Keep up the great work!

2. Richard says:

Amen to Mike’s comments. As I sat waiting for my wife to undergo some brutal cancer surgery, I devoured a book by Mike Horton, “Too Good to be True.” Horton’s book was a good reminder of what is true–that our God works through pain, as He worked through the Cross.

3. Brian Howard says:

Please take into prayer helping my young family out. Just please read my blog and God Bless. Keep us in your prayers…

4. Mike says:

I found my anchor in God while in the infusion room. You don’t really recognize your own mortality until you are the one waiting to see if the cancer is overcome or not.

5. Brian Howard says:

http://myfamilyisalways1st.blogspot.com/ may god bless all of us and guide us thru the ever wineding path. may he speak to us and be with us. Lord hear our prayers.

6. Reg Schofield says:

All I can say is Amen and praying for her. My wife is cancer free for 3 years now but it was her illness that brought me back to God and shattered my pride.

Justin Taylor