If you’ve never heard the story of how the Lord turned the tide at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary—from a place of deep theological liberalism to a bastion of orthodox fidelity—this audio clip is worth your 15 minutes. It is from the 2000 Bethlehem Baptist Church Pastors’ Conference, where Albert Mohler was the keynote speaker. Pastor Sam Crabtree asked Dr. Mohler to tell the story of the remarkable turnaround.

You can also listen to these two talks from Mohler where he goes into more detail and sets the story in its wider context.

For a history of Southern Seminary, see this work by Greg Wills.

Comments:

9 thoughts on “How the Reformation Happened at Southern Seminary under God”

1. William Lynch says:

I have been an admirer of much of what Dr. Mohler has said in the past several years that I have been aware of his ministry, but the Baptist Statement of Faith confuses me. It appears, from my interpretation, to speak clearly against a totally monergistic view of salvation. It makes me wonder, “Can a Baptist truly be a Reformer?”

In sincerity, love, and much respect.

1. AStev says:

William, is there certain wording that you think is inconsistent with monergism? The wording seems to me to actually be more favorable to monergism than to synergism.

1. William Lynch says:

“Salvation involves the redemption of the whole man, and is offered freely to all who accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour…”. Strikes me as a very “free-will” salvationist opinion. Of course it doesn’t help matters that the photo has him sitting next to the greatest proponent of free will salvation the modern world has ever known.

2. John says:

The two talks from the SGM event are pure gold. Thanks for linking to them.

3. Scott says:

I, like many others, was saddened to see the “tide turn” from a robust intellectual heritage to the rank, dry fundamentalism of today. Many degrees were thrown in the rtrash when Mohler and Patterson won the day.

1. R. Delaney says:

Yeah, degrees of apostasy…

4. SLIMJIM says:

That’s so rare to hear something like this happening in history…usually things go bad to worst but I’m glad that God in His Sovereignty allowed Southern to turn around.