The Drop Box:

In December 2009, a Korean pastor named Lee Jong-rak built a wooden “drop box” on the outer wall of his home. But the box wasn’t intended for clothing, food, or school supplies, it was meant to collect unwanted babies.

When “the drop box” “or “baby box” was constructed a few years ago, it flew completely under the radar of Korean government officials. However, as more and more children arrive in this box every week, the nation is starting to take notice.

Lee knows that his little wooden box isn’t the best solution, but his plight points to a much larger issue of abandonment, both in Korea, and across the globe.

As a simple man, with little education and no public notoriety, Lee was voiceless, much like the children he has sworn to protect.

Soon, the whole world will know his story.

Here is a trailer for the film:

Comments:

24 thoughts on “A New Documentary on Orphan Care: The Drop Box”

1. Lydia says:

So excited to see this video! I cried tears of joy listening to the director, Brian Ivie, share how Pastor Lee’s faith and actions lead Brian to faith in Christ as he was making the movie!
    And watching Brian as he was totally overcome upon receiving the best of festival award at the SAICFF, I gave glory to God! Pastor Lee’s influence has already touched so many lives, and soon the whole world will be touched!

2. David says:

Awesome. Praise God.

3. Stevie says:

Are these children up for adoption? Is there anyway to find out?
    This is so inspirational! God is so good! Thankful for his servants, we are here for Him to use us! :)

4. WOW! Incredible, can’t wait to see this movie. So excited he has taken all kinds of kids with disabilities also.

5. Jen says:

1. When will this film be released?
    2. Where do I buy it from?
    3. How do I donate to pastor Lee Jong-rak?
    4. Do these or can these babies/children become adopted?

Thanks!!
    Jen

6. Kyle says:

Thanks so much for sharing this! Watched the trailer and was almost openly weeping in a coffee shop! May more of us be spurred to action!

7. Peter Kim says:

The bible verse above the box is from Psalm 27:10
    “For my father and my mother have forsaken me,
    but the LORD will take me in.”

8. Camille says:

I just watched this with my “little abandonded baby” sitting beside me. So thankful for the people who love and care for the least of these. So thankful for ADOPTION!

9. rcjr says:

Thank you for sharing this Justin. It is an amazing story of the grace of God at work on so many levels, in the life of Pastor Lee, in the lives of the babies, in the life of the film maker. And it was a powerful moment of grace when the film took the top prize at the San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival. I was blessed to give the film its other award, Best Pro-Life film and was blessed to explain to Brian why I had that honor, because of the two adopted sons that bless my home, and my special needs daughter who is now with our Lord. I hope all your readers will make the effort to see the film.

10. I am really looking forward to this one. What a testimony to grace!

11. Noel McNeil says:

I share the same questions. When will this video be available? How can we help?!

12. Laura Matias says:

I am also interested in learning more. When will this documentary be available?

13. Thank you for posting this and raising the awareness of the needs of the most vulnerable! I am thrilled to see the loving care these children are receiving. At the same time my heart aches that my husband, Jim, and I are blocked by politics from bringing home the four Russian siblings we so long to adopt. As I watched the trailer, I cried out to the Father of the Fatherless with both joy and grief!
    Denise Reynolds
    Morningside Baptist
    Sioux City, IA

14. Elaine says:

What a wonderful man for sharing his love and hope to these beautiful children.

15. Gill says:

How can I donate to this orphanage?

16. Rob says:

Justin,

I thank you for keeping many informed with videos like this!

17. Christine says:

So encouraged by the love, faith and dedication. Praise God. These children are so loved.

18. Glen says:

A similar concept was started in South Africa in 1999 from the Berea Baptist Church. They receives at times 40-50 abandoned children a month http://www.doorofhope.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79&Itemid=73

Justin Taylor