Well, by God’s grace, at FBC Grand Cayman we’ve completed our sermon series through the book Song of Solomon. As I admitted here, I approached the book with no small amount of trepidation. But the Lord was good and kindly blessed His word. We had a great time considering the themes of the book and applying its lesson to our lives. I’m not sure there’s been a series with more excitement despite my trepidation. And it’s probably the series where the congregation laughed at me the most, trying in futility to sing 80’s love songs that illustrated various themes in the book. If you need a good laugh, you’ll enjoying the terrible singing bits!

Thus far in my life as a preacher, I’ve found Song of Solomon to be both the most difficult book to preach and the most rewarding and encouraging. I expected the difficulty, but I’m not sure I expected the reward. Oh me of little faith. All in all, God built us up by His word and in our fellowship together.

For anyone that’s interested, here are links to the sermons:

Anticipation (Songs 1:1-2:7)

Love Found, Lost and Found (Songs 2:8-3:5)

Consummation (Song 3:6-5:1)

How Women Should Talk about Their Husbands (Songs 5:2-6:3)

How Men Should Talk about Their Wives (Songs 6:4-7:9)

Getting Away Together (Songs 7:9-8:4)

The Strength of Love (Songs 8:5-14)

To my preacher friends, what book of the Bible has been most difficult for you to preach and why? What was the outcome?

Comments:

9 thoughts on “True Romance: The Message of Song of Solomon”

1. steven says:

So far for me in my short preaching/teaching career: Ecclesiastes.

I’ve found that even when I think the text is saying the same over and over, I find new joy and new insight from Solomon. It really forces us to see our ultimate need for God, Jesus, and The hope of eternal life in Christ.

I’ve had those in the congregation to say this is a difficult book, but that their eyes are being opened to things they have not thought about. It definitely isn’t me, it truly is the enlightening of the Holy Spirit. Ecclesiastics (i’m almost finished with the study) has really made me rely on the Holy Spirit and deeper thinking for the preparation process.

1. Thabiti Anyabwile says:

Me, too. I’ve been dodging Ecclesiastes for some time.
      T-

2. Dan Phillips says:

Hebrews.

The one I’m doing right now.

In both cases, tough goes with rewarding.

3. Dan Phillips says:

(That is, Hebrews AND the one I’m doing right now, which is Proverbs.)

4. Corey says:

I just wanted to say how grateful we (Zach and I) are that FBC has your sermons available online. We have been listening ever since we moved away in 2011 and we are enjoying the latest series. Thank you again!

5. Willie Harris says:

So far my most difficult one was Amos. There’s so much judgment in it prior to getting to the grace and restoration at the end. It was hard work to bring in the Gospel to balance the judgment but in the end it was very rewarding (and a timely book)!

6. Martin says:

Congratulations. In my 43 years as a Christian, I have heard only one sermon preached on the Song of Solomon. Too bad, it is the most succinct picture of heaven found in Scripture – and of the beauties and wonders of love between a man and a woman.

7. Allen says:

Pastor,

Could you recommend some commentaries on Song of Solomon?
    Thanks