photo (2)

A screenshot of my Easter playlist this year.

Every year, stores, businesses, and radio stations immerse our culture in the “Christmas season” by playing holiday songs from Thanksgiving until Christmas Day. Which begs the question: why do we spend a month to listening to Christmas music, but only a Sunday singing Easter music?

What if we are missing the opportunity to enjoy not just Easter Sunday, but also the Easter season, the fifty days between Easter and Pentecost?

Though every Sunday is a celebration of Christ’s resurrection, this time of year provides ample opportunity to give laser-like attention to the resurrection that empowers our Christian life.

Last year, I recommended we listen to “Easter music” for the weeks following Resurrection Sunday. The good news is, unlike Christmas, you don’t have to wade through all the “secular” tunes about the season. (Unless you just happen to be a fan of “Here Comes Peter Cottontail.”)

If you’re looking to create a playlist, here are some tracks to get you started. Readers gave me plenty of suggestions last year, ten of which I’ve added to the list. Christ has risen!

My Easter Season Playlist

25. He Rose – Deluge

26. Death in His Grave – John Mark McMillan

27. Love Crucified Arose – Michael Card

28. Glorious Day – Casting Crowns

29. High Noon – Andrew Peterson

30. He’s Alive – David Phelps

Share some more of your favorites in the comments below. I’m interested in adding more music to my Easter 2014 Playlist.

Comments:

28 thoughts on “Don’t Waste the Easter Season”

1. Ken Abbott says:

I greatly admire Keith Green, but I prefer the version of “Easter Song” rendered by the song’s creators, the members of 2nd Chapter of Acts.

2. a. says:

“Share some more of your favorites in the comments below. I’m interested”

not exactly an Easter one,(tho it is),thinking of it due to Ps 27 reference here this am..our King is coming to rule, coming to reign.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-sZ7x3_FuY

3. Karen B. says:

Yay Trevin! As an Anglican, I’m a big fan of celebrating the entire 50 day Easter season, and am increasingly trying to do that faithfully, as well as use the prayer & devotional blog I’m involved with, Lent & Beyond, to do that as well.

I’m a regular reader and commenter at your blog, and so hope this won’t come across merely ase a self-promotional comment. I don’t think I’ve ever posted a comment here with a link to my blog before. But your post’s timing is perfect, as we’ll be posting Easter music each day at Lent & Beyond. This week I’m focusing on some CCM classics, but in addition to CCM I’ll also be posting contemporary worship music, traditional hymns, Gospel, and Classical throughout the Easter season. (I’ve got a playlist of over 200 Easter-themed songs.)

Here’s the link to our Easter music category:

I’ll respond in a second comment with some of my thoughts on must listening songs for Easter!

Love your blog. Have a blessed Easter.
    Karen B.

4. Keith Kraska says:

Behold the Lamb, Sovereign Grace Music

5. amanda says:

Here’s the one I have on youtube:

6. Karen B. says:

Some of my favorite “CCM Classic” Easter Songs from the 1970s & 80s – I’ve listed artist, song, album and year. I hope this will format legibly. In alphabetical order by artist’s first name:

It’s a Miracle / Amy Grant / Never Alone /1980
    I’ve Just Seen Jesus / Larnelle & Sandi Patty /Almighty God /1983
    Here He Comes With My Heart / Leslie Phillips / Dancing With Danger / 1984
    It is Done / Michael & Stormie Omartian /Mainstream /1982
    Arise My Love / NewSong /Rescue / 1988
    Grave Robber / Petra / Not of This World / 1983
    It Is Finished / Petra / The Ultimate Collection: Petra /1984
    Was It a Morning Like This / Sandi Patty /The Definitive Collection: Sandi Patty / 1986
    Christ the Lord Is Risen Today / Scott Wesley Brown /The Scott Wesley Brown Collection / 1985
    Come and See / Steve Green / Find Us Faithful /1988
    Christ the Lord is Risen Today /Steve Green /Hymns a Portrait of Christ /1992
    He Holds the Keys / Steve Green / People Need the Lord / 1984
    I Know That My Redeemer Liveth / Steve Green /People Need the Lord / 1984
    Easter Song / 2nd Chapter of Acts / With Footnotes / 1974

I’ll post a separate comment with suggestions from among more recent contemporary worship songs.

7. John Y says:

Here are some of my favorites and ones that we have been singing at our church during the season of Easter.

Come Behold the Wondrous Mystery – Matt Papa
    It is Finished – Matt Papa
    Name Above All Names – Sovereign Grace
    Glorious Christ – Sovereign Grace
    In Christ Alone – Keith/Kristyn Getty
    Christ is Risen, He’s Risen Indeed – Keith/Kristyn Getty
    Wonderful Cross – Chris Tomlin
    There is a Fountain – Hymn

8. Betsy Childs says:

This was a new one I learned this year: “Hallelujah for the Cross” by Ross King http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dPb4sMp_X4

9. Emily says:

Great compilation of songs! Some of my favorites are on there!
    I think it necessary to extend the Resurrection Season. We need that reminder everyday! Jesus is alive and he’s going to return!

10. Karen B. says:

Ok, here are 80(!) more contemporary songs for Easter. A few (e.g. SCC All Things New) are not exactly about Easter, but are very “Easterish” in their theme of Christ’s victory and what it means for us.

Risen Today /Aaron Shust /This Is What We Believe /2011
    All Things New /Andrew Peterson /Resurrection Letters, Vol. 2 /2010
    You Chose The Cross (Lost in Wonder) /Andy Bromley /Above All /2003
    Victory In Jesus /Bart Millard /Hymned Again /2008
    The Same Power /Ben Cantelon /Let It Be Known /2013
    Glorious Day (Living He Loved Me) /Casting Crowns /Until the Whole World Hears /2009
    I Will Rise /Chris Tomlin /Hello Love /2008
    Rejoice /Chris Tomlin /See The Morning /2006
    Jesus, Son of God /Chris Tomlin & Christy Nockels /Passion: White Flag (Deluxe Edition) /2012
    Into Marvelous Light I’m running /Christy Nockels /Life Light Up /2009
    Victor’s Crown /Darlene Zschech /Revealing Jesus /2013
    Everything Glorious /David Crowder Band /Remedy /2007
    Raised To Life /Elevation Worship /Raised to Life EP /2014
    Unstoppable God /Elevation Worship /Raised to Life EP /2014
    Last Word /Elevation Worship /Only King Forever /2014
    Celebrate (He Lives) /Fred Hammond /Celebrate (He Lives) – Single /2004
    Celebrate Jesus /Gary Oliver /16 Biggest Praise and Worship Songs, Volume 1 /2002
    The Lord Reigns /Gateway Worship /The First 10 Years Collection /2013
    Forgiven Forever (Acousic Mix) /Glenn Packiam /The Mystery Of Faith /2013
    This Joyful Eastertide /Graham Kendrick /Unrecorded Songs (Downloads) /2009
    You’re Alive (Led Like a Lamb) /Graham Kendrick /The Very Best of Graham Kendrick – Knowing You Jesus /2010
    He Is Risen (Duet With Paul Baloche) /Graham Kendrick /Worship Duets /2013
    This Is Not the End (Live) /Gungor /A Creation Liturgy (Live) /2012
    Man of Sorrows [Live] /Hillsong /Glorious Ruins (Deluxe Edition) /2013
    Beneath the Waters (I Will Rise) /Hillsong Live /Cornerstone (Deluxe Edition) [Live] /2012
    Alive (Live) /Hillsong Young & Free /We Are Young & Free (Live) /2013
    Rez Power /Israel & New Breed /Jesus At the Center (Live) /2012
    Risen /Israel & New Breed /Kingdom /2014
    Overcome /Jeremy Camp /We Cry Out: The Worship Project /2010
    Break Every Chain /Jesus Culture /Awakening – Live from Chicago /2011
    The Risen Christ (Doxology) /Joanne Hogg, K. Getty, M. Becker /New Irish Hymns #2 – Father, Son & Holy Spirit /2003
    Jesus Is Alive /Josh Wilson /Jesus Is Alive – Single /2011
    Forever (Radio Version) /Kari Jobe /Majestic (Deluxe Edition) [Live] /2014
    Christ Is Risen, He Is Risen Indeed /Keith & Kristyn Getty /Hymns for the Christian Life /2012
    Mercy Tree /Lacey Sturm /My Hope: Songs Inspired By the Message and Mission of Billy Graham /2013
    What A Savior /Laura Story /Blessings /2011
    Shout For Joy /Lincoln Brewster /Real Life /2010
    See The Lamb Of God /Lou Fellingham /Best Of Lou Fellingham Live /2012
    All Has Been Forgiven /Mark Schultz /Come Alive /2009
    Christ is Risen Indeed /Matt Boswell /Gravity and Gladness /2010
    Christ Is Risen /Matt Maher /Alive Again (Extended Edition) /2011
    Resurrection Day /Matt Maher /Overflow /2006
    Love So High (Re-Recorded) /Matt Redman /Sing Like Never Before – The Essential Collection /2012
    Jesus, Only Jesus (Live) /Matt Redman /Your Grace Finds Me (Live) /2013
    Sing and Shout (Live) /Matt Redman /Your Grace Finds Me (Live) /2013
    Shake /MercyMe /Shake /2013
    Greater /MercyMe /Welcome to the New /2014
    Flawless /MercyMe /Welcome to the New /2014
    On the Third Day /Michael Olson /Where Fear & Faith Collide /2007
    All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name (Crown Him) /Michael W. Smith /Jesus, Firm Foundation: Hymns of Worship /2013
    All Arise (Live) /Michael W. Smith /Sovereign /2014
    He Is Alive /Soul Survivor /Soul Survivor 2013 /2013
    For Us /Soul Survivor & Momentum /We Are the Free (Live 2011) /2011
    Alive /Sovereign Grace Music /Risen /2011
    Oh, What a Day /Sovereign Grace Music /Risen /2011
    Jesus Lives /Sovereign Grace Music /Risen /2011
    Hail the Day /Sovereign Grace Music /Risen /2011
    Behold Our God (Live) /Sovereign Grace Music & Bob Kauflin /Together for the Gospel Live II /2012
    All Things New /Steven Curtis Chapman /All Things New /2004
    Beauty Will Rise /Steven Curtis Chapman /Beauty Will Rise /2009
    See What a Morning (Resurrection Hymn) /Stuart Townend /The Passion of God’s Son /2006
    I See Love /Third Day, S.C. Chapman & MercyMe /Christ Is Risen /2011
    Happy Day /Tim Hughes /Holding Nothing Back /2007
    God Undefeatable /Todd Agnew /How to Be Loved /2012
    Alive, Forever, Amen! /Travis Cottrell /Lion Of Judah/Calvary’s Lamb /2003
    Death Could Not Hold You /Tree Hill Collective /One Redemption – EP /2012
    The Cross Stands /Worship Central /Let It Be Known /2013

11. Trevin Wax says:

Oh my, I wasn’t expecting so many new song ideas.

Does anyone want to gift me an iTunes gift card for Easter? :-)

12. Karen B. says:

By the way, I’m loving some of the comments here and am excited to listen to some of the songs mentioned I’ve not heard. I’m not trying to out do anyone with my extensive list of songs – I just love wonderful Easter music, and so am excited to share some great song ideas with others!

A blessed Easter season to all!! May the Lord help us to walk in the joy and reality of His resurrection and victory each day!

13. Andrew says:

And Page CXVI just released an Easter album.

14. Elizabeth L. says:

Great Easter song choices (both in the article and comments)! This song is pretty powerful as well.

15. Barbara K. says:

A nice old one I like is: Thine be the Glory (Budry/Hoyle)

16. LA says:

One I have not seen mentioned that is a new favorite of mine is Eternal Life Has Arisen (Ode 15) by Cathy Schreiner.

17. Linda Owen says:

Thank you for these suggestions! I’ve been feeling the same thing this year–why not build up to and prolong the wonder of the Resurrection with some glorious music? One group I might suggest is Page CXVI–they made a special “Good Friday to Easter” CD available on iTunes. Christian music has it all over the world!

Thank you again and Happy Easter!

18. Karen B. says:

Trevin, I laughed at your iTunes gift card comment – that’s actually a big part of why I have such a big Easter music collection. Last year for my 50th birthday just before Easter, I had friends give me a $50 iTunes gift card, so I bought a lot of Easter music last year, LOL!

But actually, a lot of the songs I listed I got legally as free downloads. Here are a couple of resources where you can get free music:

1) WeareWorship.com – 1 or 2 free songs available each week. They also had 21 free songs for Easter in March!
    http://www.weareworship.com/ (there are British & US versions of the site, and you can register at both, meaning you can benefit from double the free music!)

2) Worship Together – a great site for worship leaders, they often offer free songs as well.
    They are currently offering brand new free Easter songs from Michael W. Smith (All Arise); and Hillsong (Calvary). You have to join (it’s free) to get the free songs, but they do not spam you at all, so it is really worth it to join.

3) Finally, my local library subscribes to a music service called Freegal, which allows all library patrons (you need a library card) to get 3 free songs per week. It’s an amazing deal, and there are some really good artists included. (MercyMe, ThirdDay, Steven Curtis Chapman, Rich Mullins, i.e. we’re talking about major recording artist…. it’s all music listed in the Sony family of labels.) Check with your local library whether they offer the service.

Between these 3 sources above, I got over 200 free songs last year, many of which appear in the 80 song list I posted in the comments above!

19. Jeff says:

Settled At The Cross – The Nelons
    Anchor To The Power Of The Cross – The Hoppers
    4 Days Late – Karen Peck and New River
    I Rest My Case At The Cross – THe Perrys

check these all out on youtube or itunes.

20. David Fisher says:

Great music here!
    Love this idea.
    We often hear Handel’s Messiah around Christmas, but Handel wrote it for Easter. I see some selections from the “Young Messiah” on Trevin’s list. The original is even better, especially:
    Chorus 22: Behold the Lamb of God
    Chorus 24: Surely he hath borne our grief
    Chorus 25: And with his stripes we are healed
    Chorus 26: All we like sheep
    Bass solo 40: Why do the nations
    Soprano solo 45: I know that my Redeemer liveth
    Chorus 46: Since by man came death
    Bass solo 48: The trumpet shall sound
    Duet 50: O death where is thy sting
    Chorus 51: But thanks be to God
    Chorus 53: Worthy is the Lamb
    and of course… Chorus 44: Hallelujah!

21. I built a playlist on Grooveshark of Trevin’s songs. I couldn’t find all of them, but there are 23 (with a few subs from other bands). You can listen here: http://grooveshark.com/playlist/Easter/97255040.

22. Gary Ware says:

Here’s two.
    Zac Hicks’ version of In A Byre Near Bethlehem (The Word Of Life).
    And, a little harder to get hold of, Nicky Chiswell’s song Resurrection http://au.emumusic.com/resurrection-song.html
    Some of you might find yourself in EMU’s US store.

Thank me later.

23. Sally Hart says:

It is Finished – Gaither Vocal Band (GVB)
    The King is Coming – GVB
    Because He Lives – GVB
    I’ve Just Seen Jesus -Sandi Patty/Larnell Harris
    He’s Alive – David Phelps
    Worthy The Lamb – GVB
    They Should Have Cried Holy – Greater Vision
    Hallelujah Chorus – by anyone
    At Calvary — The Collingsworth Family
    Those are just a few from a Southern Gospel Fan Of course any of the hymns previously mentioned are right up there too!

24. Robert Moorin says:

Two powerful, poetic songs by Graham Kendrick, Crucifed Man & How much do you think you are worth?

25. Thank you, thank you for this!