Matt Chandler Seminar on Homosexuality
Hats off to Matt Chandler for tackling the subject of homosexuality with a lot of biblical wisdom and grace (audio and video below).
It’s about 1.5 hours of teaching, then 40 minutes or so of answering questions from the audience.
It seems this is increasingly becoming a difficult subject to handle well. Some pastors harp on this issue in a disproportionate, condemnatory way. Others, swinging the pendulum in the other direction, don’t want to appear insensitive or right-wing and thus avoid it altogether. So it takes courage to tackle it head-on without being a jerk.
Chandler begins by tracing the biblical storyline. In the second video, he gives some basic responses to several street-level objections, like:
1. If you’re not hurting anyone else, what’s wrong with it?
2. Since you’re a sinner, too, who are you to call out others?
3. Jesus didn’t say anything about homosexuality.
4. Some animals have same-sex relations, so if it’s in nature it must natural.
5. The homosexuality condemned by Paul is a different type of homosexuality than we see today.
6. Revisionist arguments from modern scholarship.
He also talks about the way in which he seeks to engage in dialogue with homosexuals in a gospel-centered way.
In the third video he fields questions via text message—like how parents should handle their adult kids who are gay with partners coming to visit.
You can listen to the whole audio below or download it:
Or you can watch it via video: