Here’s the final post on this.

I have now put together two PDF documents.

First, here is a printable PDF version (18 pages) with a spot to check off boxes as books are acquired.

Second, this version will allow you still to click on each title, taking you to Amazon to see the cover, to buy the book, to see used copies, etc.

I’ve tried my best to link to the best texts at the cheapest prices on Amazon. But of course many of these books can also be found in libraries, used bookstores, thrift stores, etc.

Happy reading!

Comments:

17 thoughts on “Classical School Reading List: Grades 1-8”

1. I am sure this took FOREVER. Thank you for serving us so well in this way.

2. Thanks,

However, the links in your pdf are inactive. Could you give us the .doc file?

Would be interested in a list of pre-school books as well.

Pierre Queripel

3. Jeff Wencel says:

Thanks for the labor of love!

4. JK says:

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

My entire family is grateful for your work. This pdf serving as just one of many ways you have blessed us.

Praise God for the work he has given you to do in promoting the Good News of Jesus Christ and encouraging His church.

-Jonathan

ps – Love the picture.

5. MarkO says:

Thank you mucho.
    My kids are often asking what to read next.
    This is a great addition to other resources we use in our home.

6. Jan says:

I greatly appreciate the compiled list of great children’s literature. As one who studied children’s literature in college and as a home school teacher, it is important to provide our children a steady diet of “nutritious” books. However, I was alarmed to see Madeliene L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time listed. Her writings with their occultic themes have no place on our bookshelves.

7. Tricia M. says:

Thank you for taking the time to put this together. We are well served by your effort.

8. Charne says:

Great list! Thank you for all the effort this took! I just wanted to add that many of the older books on this list are available through Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page for those with ereaders, or who would like to read on the computer or print their own copies. Many are also available as audio books through Librivox http://librivox.org/

9. Martha says:

What an excellent reading list! My 8 yr old granddaughter has discovered reading, and I could NOT be a happier grandmother! I have two requests concerning the readability of the pdf file. Any chance the font in the file could be enlarged up one or two font sizes? Can the font also be made darker? I have saved and printed it out, and it is pretty difficult to read. Thank you again for this truly wonderful list.

1. Justin Taylor says:

Martha,

You’re welcome! I’ve adjusted the file a bit. Try now printing out the first one linked. I hope this helps.

10. Jennifer says:

This is such a valuable resource. Thank you. I would love to see a reading list for 9-12 grade students.

Justin Taylor